I first sought treatment for my hormonal migraines approximately 3 years ago. I’ve tried quite a number of treatments so I thought I’d list some of them in a separate page for those looking for some pointers. Most importantly, go and see your GP and have a chat about options.
- Beta blockers. They didn’t work for me, we tried higher and higher doses until I was getting chest pains. They weren’t effective for me unfortunately.
- Sumatriptan. This definitely works for me and works quite quickly. I would say that sometimes the original dose wasn’t enough and I always found the pain was coming back after 8-12 hours.
- Paracetamol. Not effective for me.
- Ibuprofen. Not effective for me.
- Frovatriptan. Very effective for me. I would say it’s slower to act than sumatriptan but is longer lasting. It doesn’t completely knock them out but it does a good job at keeping them at a distance for over 12 hours.
- Asprin. This is surprisingly effective and is my first port of call. I often take two before bed as a preventative or with coffee or diet coke to take the edge off before the frovatriptan kicks in.
In short, I never leave the house without asprin and frovatriptan.
I’vs also spent a lot of money trying complementary therapies so I’ll update this page at some point with those.